Over 25 years of racing and training in Melbourne’s Western suburbs, Australia  
Exit Forum

Beach start V’s deep water start
Posted: 25 February 2010 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-12-14

Thought it might be good to get some quick feedback for our race director re: the topic of beach start v’s deep water start. My observation at the last club race , whereby a beach start was opted for, was there was no creeping forward as is common and significant in the deep option, and far less stress and bashing around the first can. Can it be used in future races? Personally enjoyed it more, but that extra running at the start may not be everybody’s cup of tea. What do members think?

Also, not being inundated with helpers for the kids race just yet. Once the dust settles from this weekends race 4, we might have to make a more prominent appeal on the home page, as only members (and those who are utilizing the noticeboard) will have seen the initial request for help.

Lastly, have we had any luck in picking up a “hooter” for the race start on Sunday?
regards,

Chris Munro cool smile

Posted: 25 February 2010 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-11-14

Chris I will bring up the deep water start with the committee.  I personally believe that during high tide we should do dry starts but when it’s low tide, we start out in the water.

Kids race helpers request is on the front page in NEWS.

Hooter will be purchased. I hope to have one soon.

Thanks again for being the sponsor of race 3 also.

Peter

Posted: 27 February 2010 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2009-12-14

I purchased a pair of hooters from RSEA this morning wink
not cheap - thirty bucks each!!
Dry start was great - maybe we can do it tommorrow if the tide is in?

Posted: 01 March 2010 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-12-14

My vote is for a beach start. Was used in the early days of the club to great effect. Lets do it again.

Posted: 01 March 2010 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-12-14
Matthew Binns - 01 March 2010 11:55 AM

My vote is for a beach start. Was used in the early days of the club to great effect. Lets do it again.

If we start on the shore does that mean we swim less? I vote for that.

Posted: 02 March 2010 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-02-13

Personally I like the deep water start - being vertically challenged makes the beach start more difficult for me.

Posted: 02 March 2010 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-12-14

not being vertically challenged is why it gets my vote. I have to get an advantage somewhere cause the rest of my race is crap.

Posted: 03 March 2010 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2009-12-14

Always did look great on the beach Binnsy.

Posted: 10 March 2010 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-12-14

How about a deep water start on tide out days and a beach start on tied in days. Just be mindful of the distance on the turn around bouy.